Monday, March 14, 2011

Break it to Justin Bieber Gently...

Burton Cummings
and Youtube
Burton Cummings is the lead singer and keyboardist for The Guess Who. I was cruising youtube one day and a video caught my attention. The video is an interview of him with George Stroumboulopoulos discussing...the youtube phenomenon... Justin Bieber. Yes, I know we hear about him a million times a day, but love or hate him; he is HUGE in pop culture right now. Watch the video below to hear Burton`s opinion and let me know if you agree or disagree with what he has to say.  

 It`s crazy how the internet has changed the way bands are discovered and how we listen to music. It has effected the music industry because instead of buying an entire album, we can download particular song by an artist OR access music on youtube. I only recently discovered my love for listening to music through youtube, and now I`m addicted to it. Archives of music (old and new), live performances, interviews and music videos of any genre are accessible with a click of a button.  

I will leave you with a video of my favourite song by Burton Cummings. Listen to the story in the beginning, as he explains how he wrote the song in minutes...Personally, I agree with Burton Cummings that singer-songerwriters tend to last longer in the industry; however, although Burton Cummings doesn`t think Justin`s fame will last, I wouldn`t have been able to listen to his opinion on the matter if youtube didn`t exist.

Again, let me know your opinion!
Love: Danielle
1978 "Break it to Them Gently``
Note: I found this video on youtube. ;) 

7 comments:

  1. Whenever Burton Cummins opens his mouth, something interesting comes out! Guess Who were my father's favourite band, so I grew up listening to them. I think his "advice" to Justin Bieber is interesting, though should be taken with a grain of salt as it would be hard for Cummins to truly understand what it is like being a new musician in 2010/2011 as opposed to 1965.

    I think one of the "cons" to come out the liberalization of music in the 21st-century is that people no longer listen to entire albums. When bands like Guess Who, Queen, The Who etc. would put together an album, they would construct the album to be listened to entirely. Putting on these records and listening to them all the way through is a great pleasure. Contemporary albums lack the cohesion of previous albums because artists and record producers know listeners will only listen to one song at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,
    I had no idea that you were such a huge music fan! Your blog is really great, and I did not realize how easy it was to access this much musical knowledge on youtube. Thanks for sharing your passion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle! This was a very interesting post. I am a Justin Beiber fan and it was fun to watch the video you posted of Burton Cummins talking about him. I believe this is just another stage in the music industry. Youtube is now a legitimate way to get discovered, Beiber just happened to be discovered at the beginning of this new trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog sums up everything I have thought surrounding the Justin Beiber evolution. Youtube has too become my main source for checking out music the way I want to. Its just amazing it have gone from a way of watching home video clips of friends making fun of each other to music deals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Danielle! It was interesting to see this perspective of Justin Bieber.
    Like you, I also love checking out music on youtube. I've really enjoyed reading your blog, it has taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a huge fan of Burton Cummings and The Guess Who. I have to agree with Greg however that being an artist present day is a lot different from when Burton Cummings received his huge success. I think given the difference in age, the two artists will just view the industry differently

    ReplyDelete
  7. #ADHD & ADD

    ADHD is a psychiatric diagnosis given to individuals who meet a minimum requirement for criteria related to chronic occurrences of hyperactivity, impulsivity and / or difficulties related to organization and attention ...

    ReplyDelete