Saturday, March 12, 2011

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain

Bob Marley
Music and Stress Relief
Born: Robert "Nesta" Marley (1945-1981)
It's funny how music can completely switch your mood. Between juggling classes, assignments, work, volunteer work and my "social life" (which I haven't had much time for), I've been stressing myself out. I came home from work tonight exhausted and stressed and decided to throw on a Bob Marley C.D. Honestly, my mood totally turned around and I felt a lot better.

I know many people struggle with stress so I decided to list some tips on how music can help relieve stress. The link is below (if you're interested in reading it), but I will list the main ideas in it.

How to use Music for Stress Relief

1) Getting reading the morning- Put on an uplifting song in the morning. It will help set the tone for a 
lower-stress day.

2) During a commute- If you're frustrated waiting in traffic, I'm sorry but realistically there's usually nothing you can do about it. Put on your favourite tunes; you'll feel better.

3) While Cooking/Cleaning- I know you probably come home from a busy day of school or work, and the last thing you want to do is make dinner or clean the house. Throw some tunes on and try to make these tasks less of a chore. 

4) While Eating- Studies show that soothing music can trigger the relaxation response which can lower cortisol levels, making it easier to digest your food.

5) Paying Bills- Lets face it, paying bills is not much fun. If you have to devote time to paying bills, putting music on can reduce financial stress you may be struggling with.  

6) Before Bed- Listening to mellow music before bed can counteract the effects of your stress by taking your mind off what is stressing you, slowing down your breathing, and soothing your mind.

Now that you have reasons to listen to music, go out and find some great songs to listen to.
A Bob Marley song I find very uplifting is "Three Little Birds".

                                                                  "Three Little Birds"
                                                                  Album Exodus- 1977

I'm a big fan of many music styles that are very mellow. Jack Johnson, and Ben Harper are my favourite "newer" artists and both admit their music styles are strongly influenced by Bob Marley. Again, it goes back to the notion of the '60s and '70s being recycled back into the ideas, styles, and music of today.

I will leave you with a performance of Jack Johnson and Ben Harper partnering in a cover of the Bob Marley song, "High Tide and Low Tide". Thanks for reading. If you're stressed out, I hope this helps!

Love: Danielle

“Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!”- Bob Marley

7 comments:

  1. Everything you wrote is so true. I don't know if I could make it a day without listening to music. Who knew it helped you digest food!? Hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Marley had such a positive attitude to life. He was a family man, and to die at such a young age is a real shame. His music is so uplifting. My favourite songs by him are "You Could Be Loved" and "Misty Morning" just because they are so mellow and relaxing. I agree with you Danielle that music can change your mood. I know when Paul plays music in his class I find I concentrate more, weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Bob Marley and his music definitely influences my mood. Throughout most of my post-secondary education, Bob had to pull me up out of a few situations. I love your post because sometimes music is the key to a good day! I agree with Rachel one of my favourite songs is "You Could Be Loved". I'm actually in a great mood now, great post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely music can change your mood. It can help you to feel better or worst.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob Marley is genius. I agree completely with what Alicia said, he always cheers me up, no matter what kind of mood I am. Such a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. last summer while stuck in traffic on my way up to the cottage with my buddies, we put on marley's greatest hits. we listened to the whole album and bobbed are heads and sang along. It took the stress out of the road trip very quickly.

    ReplyDelete